Fun In (And Out Of!) The Sun at Castaway Cay, Disney's Private Island Paradise
The dock built at Castaway Cay eliminates the need to tender, making the ship extremely accessible throughout the day. Transportation is provided to and from various points on the 1,000-acre island, including a special tram to Serenity Bay – a beach area reserved exclusively for guests 18 years of age and older. A delicious all-you-care-to-eat lunch buffet is served at Cookie’s BBQ, a covered pavilion located steps away from the main family beach.
Disney Imagineers designed Castaway Cay much like the Disney ships, with unique activities and areas for every age group, providing a sensational tropical experience for all guests. Disney Cruise Line sails to Castaway Cay on all itineraries originating from Port Canaveral, Fla.
Flying high above the island on a parasail adventure, snorkeling in a 12-acre lagoon, building sand castles on the beach, bicycling around the island or playing foosball in the shade are just a few of the activities that every member of the family can enjoy. Other excursions and activities with family appeal include:
• Guests can swim and interact with Southern Stingrays in a private lagoon. This up-close encounter with the rays is part of a one-hour experience aptly named, Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure, and is open to guests five years of age or older.
• For water sport enthusiasts there are water cycles, paddleboats, kayaks and sailboats for rent. The island features a 12-acre snorkel trail dotted with sunken treasures, including a submarine from the classic Disney attraction 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and a statue of a certain familiar mouse.
• Castaway Family Beach has plenty of umbrellas, chairs and hammocks, for a perfect day in the warm sun and comfortable shade. In the lagoon, children enjoy a water-based jungle gym.
• Nature-lovers rejoice: there are a number of paths to the island’s interior that can be explored either on foot or bicycle. A knowledgeable guide explains the ecological wonders found in the Bahamas during the Castaway Cay Walking and Kayak Nature Adventure.
• The Watercraft Ski Adventure gives guests a chance to drive a personal watercraft through intricate mangroves and other natural wonders around the island.
For Kids, Tweens and Teens…
Mirroring the youth activities on the ship, children ages 3-17 will find programs and activities designed specifically for them on the island. Scuttle’s Cove is the “hub” of youth activities on the island and features a dig site filled with artificial whale bones. Other activities and programs include:
• To cool off, kids can participate in wet and wild activities like Gotta Get Soaked, a team challenge with water balloons and buckets, and Water Mania, water play for younger kids.
• Search for Atlantis is a quest around Castaway Cay in search of special crystals that are the life source of the mystical city – the only catch is that the directions on the ancient map are written in a lost language that has to be decoded.
• Teens explore Castaway Cay during The Wild Side excursion designed just for them. They’ll snorkel, bike and kayak through the island and cap off the tour with a hearty lunch.
• What do you get when you combine bamboo, rope and a group of determined teenagers? A raft, hopefully! Whatever Floats Your Boat has teens teamed together to design, build and race rafts in the lagoon at Castaway Cay. The first one to shore in one piece wins!
Just for Adults…
Located almost a mile from the main family beach, Serenity Bay is a pristine stretch of beach exclusively for adults. At Serenity Bay, sparkling turquoise waters meet pristine white sand, palm fronds sway in the breeze and comfortable lounge chairs and two-person hammocks dot the beach.
For the ultimate in relaxation, adults can enjoy a therapeutic massage at one of the nearby cabanas overlooking the ocean. And there is no need to head back to the main beach for refreshment – a delectable lunch buffet, Bahamian specialty drinks, beer and mixed drinks are served at the nearby Castaway Air Bar.